VISA APPLICATIONS - LETTERS FROM CIRM
If you need to apply for a visa to participate in one or several events at Cirm, this is what you should do:
1. Pre-register online for the event you are interested in on its dedicated webpage. Please enter your contact details carefully.
The organizers make a decision on your application.
If accepted, you receive an automatic message from Cirm telling you to contact the International Coordinator if you need to apply for a visa.
2. Write to the International Coordinator including in the message:
a) copy of the automatic message in full
b) your full name exactly as it appears on your passport
c) your passport number
d) the full name of your institution
e) attach a scanned copy of your passport (photo page) if at all possible.
- ONLY an official letter of confirmation from Cirm detailing your registration can be used to request travel authorization or a visa for participation in an event at Cirm.
- Cirm will never supply a "Convention d'accueil" from the Préfecture - this is not necessary for events staged at Cirm, as their duration is short.
- ONLY actual participants in the event can be granted a letter from Cirm. Cirm does not provide letters for visa application for any accompanying person.
- The same letter (provided in French and in English) can serve to confirm an enrolment in an event (for example if you need proof to receive funding from your institution) and to apply for a visa (present it to the French Consulate / Embassy in your country).
- The letter will be based on the exact dates of the event attended, including a possible arrival on the night before the event starts and a possible departure on the morning after it ends. Note that we cannot extend these dates.
- The letter will include the exact address of our centre Cirm where all academic work takes place and where you will "normally" be hosted in our hotel (accommodation and meals). Note that if our hotel is full you may be lodged nearby in university accommodation. The Accommodation Officer at Cirm will provide all details.
- The letter will mention financial support if and only if the organizers have given that information to Cirm by the date the visa letter is prepared. Note that some organizing teams have to wait for answers from sponsors and may decide quite late on the distribution of their budget. If the information is not known at the time your request arrives, a "general" letter will be prepared by the International Coordinator, leaving open the question of financial support.
As a result, we intend to provide only ONE bilingual letter per person requesting one. Therefore, if the mention of financial support is crucial for your visa application or to be sponsored by your institution, then make sure you contact the organizers beforehand on this issue and make sure to forward their reply to the International Coordinator at the same time you request your letter of confirmation/ visa application.